The 5 Steps of a Truck Accident Settlement
Thousands of accidents happen each year, many involving semi-trucks. These trucks and drivers are instrumental in making sure the American economy moves at the rate and pace needed. However, accidents involving these trucks can range from devastating to catastrophic. When one of these accident occur, there is a process that must be followed in order to ensure that the victim receives what is due them. Here are the five steps of a truck accident settlement.
1. The first step for obtaining a truck accident settlement is seeking legal representation to handle your case. After the accident has been reported and immediately required medical attention has been sought, finding someone to handle your claim in court is the first step that one needs to do. This will help as you deal with the authorities, the trucking company, and the insurance companies.
2. Keep a record of every medical appointment you have. This includes keeping all receipts and documents provided by medical personnel. It is important to keep all of the information pertaining to the injuries, damages, and losses caused by the accident. This will help your attorneys ensure they get the best settlement possible for you.
3. It’s important to work continually with your lawyer at this point. Hopefully, you have hired someone you are comfortable with. It’s important to stay in contact with them and provide them all the information needed for your case: time, date, driving conditions, license plate numbers, contact numbers for witnesses, etc. Working together will get you the best results.
4. At this point, it is time to begin negotiations. You should never enter these negotiations without your attorney. Remember that these first offers are only that: offers. It’s important to trust your attorneys to get the best settlement for you possible.
5. Lastly, once you’ve reached a settlement, read it thoroughly with your attorney. Your personal injury attorney will be able to advise you the best course to take, whether the settlement is satisfactory or below what you were expecting. It is important that you trust your attorney and that you are both on the same page for your truck accident settlement.
There are a number of attorneys who are capable of handling truck accident settlement cases such as these. Representatives from our offices would be glad to help you make a decision in finding the best fit for your needs. Feel free to contact us at (210) 226-8888 or by filling out this form.