5 Ways a San Antonio Auto Accident Attorney Can Fight DUI Charges
If you are pulled over and charged with driving under the influence (a DUI), you could face penalties that are often harsh, ranging from steep fines and community service to jail time and license suspension. But a DUI charge is not always just, and there are many factors that could allow you to fight the case or lessen the penalties you suffer because of it. By calling a San Antonio auto accident attorney such as Pat Maloney, you can get add help with fighting your charges.
An Auto Accident Attorney Can Help
After contacting an auto accident attorney, San Antonio drivers charged with a DUI can expect the first step to be verifying the legality of the traffic stop. In order for a police officer to stop a car in the state of Texas, they must first have grounds for reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. They must observe some indication that laws are being violated, and only then can they pull a vehicle over for investigation. If no laws were visibly being violated, your attorney may be able to get your case thrown out of court. If the traffic stop was legal, your attorney can also help by doing the following:
- Gathering evidence on your behalf to either prove your innocence or show the other party’s fault.
- Requesting an administrative hearing and representing you during it to ensure that your license doesn’t get suspended.
- Contesting evidence that the prosecutor brings to the case.
- Working to minimize your penalties if a guilty verdict cannot be avoided.
- Questioning your arresting officer’s sobriety testing abilities, training history, and motivation for making the stop.
If you believe you have been arrested on an unjust DUI charge, fight back and contact a skilled San Antonio auto accident attorney. The Law Offices of Pat Maloney can help. Call us today or contact us here for a free case evaluation.