Being Sued? A San Antonio Car Wreck Attorney Can Protect You
Many a San Antonio car wreck attorney wishes more clients would have followed a few simple steps after a car wreck. What you say—or don’t say—can come back to cause heartache and headaches after the dust has settled.
At the Accident Scene
• Don’t say anything incriminating. Other than asking the other driver if they are all right and exchanging contact and insurance info, don’t talk about the accident at all. Don’t say what you were doing when it happened, what you think caused it, and how the other driver was driving. Don’t even say you’re sorry for what happened. “Anything you say can and will be held against you” applies here.
• Call the police or highway patrol. Even if no one appears injured and the vehicle damage seems minor, call the authorities. In most cases, if you wind up on the wrong side of who’s at fault, the court and the insurance companies will require an official record of the accident.
• Take pictures. Your cell phone will come in handy to take quick pictures and video of the accident scene in general, along with details of injuries and damage to the vehicles. Noting malfunctioning traffic signals, poor signage and pavement markings, and weather and road conditions can all add up to evidence in your favor.
• Gather witnesses. If anyone stops to help, get their names and contact information as possible witnesses.
• Be detailed. Don’t withhold any information from the police when they arrive on the scene. Don’t admit fault, but be detailed in your account.
• Notify your insurance company. Before you leave the scene, or as soon as you can afterward, call your insurance company to let them know what happened.
In the Aftermath
• Be seen by a doctor even if you don’t think you were injured.
• Check with your insurance company or the police to determine if your state requires that you file a report with the department of motor vehicles.
• Call a San Antonio car wreck attorney to make sure everything is being done to protect you if you are sued.
If you learn that the police have determined you’re at fault in an auto accident, call a San Antonio car wreck attorney today.