How to Cope With an Oil Rig Injury
An oil rig injury can be life-altering. Not only is it painful, but it can hurt your livelihood, your ability to care for your family, and your physical abilities—all in an instant.
Sadly, injuries are common in the oil and gas industry, and we have consulted with countless victims of rig accidents. While that doesn’t bode well for oil and gas workers, it does make us experts in the care of rig accident victims. We know what works, what’s important and how to make sure they get the financial and physical support they need during this difficult time.
If you or someone you love recently suffered an injury, here are the steps we recommend you take:
- 1. Seek medical attention. There’s nothing more important than this. Yes, you may have to use an insurance-approved doctor later on, but that doesn’t mean you should delay care. If you’re hurt and in pain, seek medical attention ASAP. Just make sure to keep any receipts and invoices so you can be reimbursed through workers’ comp.
- 2. Report the injury to your employer. You’ll also need to report the incident to your employer so they can file a claim with their workers’ comp insurer. The quicker you do this the better, as it can often take weeks or even months for workers’ comp claims to be fully processed.
- 3. Report your injury to OSHA. If your injury was caused because your employer or bosses failed to properly care for or maintain your worksite, you have a duty to report it to OSHA. OSHA will come out, investigate your claim and make sure the worksite is being operated as safely as possible. This could prevent other workers from suffering the same fate as you.
- 4. Know your rights. While you go through the post-accident process, make sure you know your rights. Your employer can’t terminate you just because you’re injured, and they can’t discriminate against or threaten you either. If they do, you have a valid legal claim against them.
- 5. Contact an attorney. Even if you don’t plan on filing a lawsuit, it’s important to get in touch with an attorney following an oil rig accident. They can ensure you get the workers’ comp support you need and that your employment rights are respected as you deal with your injury.
Did you suffer an oil rig injury? Let our workplace accident attorneys help you through. We’ll guide you every step of the way to make sure you get the justice and financial support you deserve. For more information, please contact us.