The Ins and Outs of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
For anyone who’s never hired a lawyer before, the whole process can seem very daunting. Many aren’t sure what type of lawyer they need, where to go about finding one, and what to look for. We’re here to help. Check out this guide to hiring a San Antonio personal injury lawyer below.
What Types of Cases an Injury Lawyer Handles
Many times, victims aren’t sure their case is even grounds for a legal claim. The truth is, a San Antonio personal injury lawyer can handle a wide variety of cases and, chances are, your injury is one of them.
Typically, an injury lawyer can handle injury cases that stem from:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Accidents at work
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Oil field accidents
An injury lawyer could handle other types of cases as well, so if you’re unsure if your case qualifies, get in contact with a local law office to confirm.
What an Injury Lawyer Can Help With
The biggest question many injured victims wrestle with is, “What exactly could a lawyer do to help?” The answer is, well, a lot.
A personal injury lawyer in San Antonio can help with a plethora of items during your claim:
- Estimating the amount of compensation you should be due.
- Filing the claim itself.
- Gathering evidence.
- Lining up expert witness testimony.
- Working with involved insurance companies.
- Negotiating settlements.
- Mediating discussions.
- Representing you in court.
Best of all, a lawyer will fight for your rights and help ensure you don’t settle for less than you deserve.
What to Look For in an Injury Lawyer
In order to see the utmost success with your injury claim, you have to have the best possible lawyer. So what do you look for? Are there specific characteristics or factors you should consider when searching for an attorney?
When considering potential lawyers, ask these important questions:
- Do they have experience in injury law? You want an attorney who knows the ins and outs of an injury claim and who has plenty of experience trying cases just like yours.
- Have they satisfied past customers? Look for customer testimonials and reviews. If they don’t have any posted or can’t give you some, it could be a red flag. A great personal injury lawyer should be able to show you proof that they’ve met their clients’ needs.
- Are they easy to communicate with? You’re going to have to be open and honest with your lawyer if you want your case to be successful. Make sure the lawyer you choose is one you feel comfortable with and one you can communicate with easily.
- Are they local? Having a lawyer who is local is important for a few reasons. First, it makes arranging face-to-face meetings easier and more convenient. Second, it ensures that they know all the local laws and regulations that may apply to your case. Third, it means they’re familiar with area judges and attorneys, so they’ll know what to expect if you go to court.
- How does pricing work? Each San Antonio personal injury lawyer handles pricing a different way. Some charge up-front fees for representation, others charge by the hour, and still others charge only if you win your case. To prevent any surprises down the road, it’s important to be absolutely clear on how – and when – you will be charged.
- Are they knowledgeable? Your lawyer should be highly knowledgeable, not just in injury law, but also in all areas. Fortunately, most law firms will offer a complimentary consultation up front, so you can use this time to gauge whether they have the skills and knowledge necessary to help your case triumph.