5 DON’TS AFTER A CAR WRECK
- Don’t admit fault. Never, ever, ever say “sorry,” “oops,” “my bad,” or anything else that could be interpreted as you taking the blame. If you’re implicated at all in causing the accident, it could significantly lower the car wreck settlement you can be awarded or, in some cases, it could negate it altogether. In which case, you’d end up footing the bill for a wreck you didn’t really cause!
- Don’t give a recorded statement. After you’ve been in an accident, you will likely be contacted by representatives of the other driver’s insurance company. They’ll want to discuss the wreck with you, get your side of the story and, often, get a recorded statement from you. Ultimately, they are looking for you to slip up. They want to catch you in a lie, making an error, or doing something else that could prove you an unreliable witness. If they’re successful, your settlement will be affected negatively.
- Don’t go it alone. A lawyer is crucial to getting a favorable car wreck settlement. They can gather evidence, file appropriate paperwork, and advise you on any statements to the insurance company. In fact, they can even handle all insurance communication altogether! In the end, this leads to a more successful claim and settlement.
- Don’t accept the first offer you get. Insurance companies don’t want to pay out. In most cases, your first settlement offer is going to be a low-ball one. It won’t be enough to cover your damages or hospital bills. Always run settlement offers by your lawyer before accepting them. They’ll be able to ensure they’re an adequate amount for your wreck.
- Don’t use their recommended service providers. Many insurance companies will try to force you to use their car repair shops, doctors, and other service providers. Little do you know, they have relationships with these providers, and they’ll give you inaccurate or low-ball estimates in order to save the insurance company money. Always use your own providers – ones you know and trust.
CONTACT THE LAW OFFICES OF PAT MALONEY
Want a favorable car wreck settlement? Avoid these 5 don’ts and call an attorney at the Law Offices of Pat Maloney today!
Follow Pat Maloney on Facebook.