San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a car accident that was caused by another driver in San Antonio, you may need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the Law Offices of Pat Maloney, our qualified and experienced team of San Antonio auto accident attorneys are ready to get to work investigating what happened. You should not be left with major expenses because of another person’s negligence, and having to navigate the insurance company alone. Let our San Antonio car accident lawyers get to work on your case today.
The Law Offices of Pat Maloney in San Antonio Are Your Choice
When you have been injured in a vehicle accident, you can count on the Law Offices of Pat Maloney to be by your side. Our law firm offers highly experienced personal injury attorneys that are experts in the law and have helped our clients injured in accidents get the help they need since 1953.
- We are going to bring more than six decades of personal injury and car crash experience to your side.
- We have a success rate of 99% and have secured millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts for our clients.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no out-of-pocket costs and no legal fees until we win your case on your behalf.
Let a Skilled San Antonio Car Accident Attorney Handle This for You
Auto accident cases can become incredibly complicated. Even when it seems certain that the other driver is at fault for the accident, you can bet that many insurance companies will do everything they can to lower any settlement they payout. An experienced law firm with skilled San Antonio Texas car accident attorneys will push back by:
- Obtaining all evidence from the scene of the car crash
- Handle all negotiations with the insurance company along with other parties
- Prepare your case for trial if necessary to secure the compensation you deserve
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Texas Help?
Car accidents are extremely common, with hundreds of thousands of crashes occurring each year in Texas alone. Common does not, however, mean an accident is easy to handle as a victim. If you get into a car crash, several issues may bombard you at once. You may have to deal with serious personal injuries, expensive hospital bills, phone calls from insurance claims adjusters, lost income and a driver that refuses to admit fault. Hiring an auto accident lawyer in Texas can help you navigate every aspect of your case while giving you hope for the future.
- Talks to insurance companies. Once you hire an attorney, you will no longer have to worry about how to communicate with car insurance companies. Your lawyer will take over negotiations for you using proven negotiation strategies for the best case results.
- Evens the playing field. A lawyer can fix the imbalance between you and a powerful car insurance company after a car wreck. While without legal representation an insurer may take advantage of you, with a lawyer a company will treat your claim fairly.
- Gathers evidence and documents. Your experienced auto accident attorney can take care of the legwork of your claim, including gathering important evidence such as photographs of the wreck, medical records, police reports and eyewitness accounts.
- Helps maximize compensation. A lawyer will do everything possible to strengthen your claim to damages after an accident. From using aggressive settlement negotiation techniques to bringing your auto accident claim to court, an attorney will fight hard for maximum compensation.
- Makes the claims process more efficient. Throughout every stage of your car accident claim, an attorney will work efficiently to bring your case to a close as quickly as possible.
Do not view a car accident attorney as a luxury. Legal advocacy is an important resource you should use to maximize the compensation you gain for your accident-related damages. You can enjoy peace of mind when you hire a lawyer to take over your case rather than worrying about what comes next. A lawyer will take care of everything in the fight for maximum financial recovery while you concentrate on healing from your injuries and moving forward.
How Much Does a Car Accident Attorney Charge?
It is understandable to worry about the cost of a lawyer after dealing with hefty bills and expenses from a serious auto accident. The last thing you may want to think about is attorney’s fees after paying thousands of dollars to repair your vehicle and pay for medical expenses. That is why Pat Maloney works on a contingency fee basis. Our contingency fee setup means you will pay $0 upfront to retain our legal services. We will not require a dime to start working on your car accident case.
You will only pay our legal fees if and when we are successful in obtaining you financial compensation. We bill clients only after the resolutions of their auto accident cases, based on a prearranged fee percentage. If we do win your case, you will pay our fees as a percentage of your settlement or judgment award. If we do not win, we will charge you virtually nothing for the work we put into your case. Contingency fee legal services mean you never have to afford your lawyer out of pocket after a serious car wreck. We will work with you to ensure our rates are reasonable and affordable.
Car Accidents Often Lead to Serious Injuries
The Texas Department of Transportation says that there were 249,241 injuries and 3,639 fatalities as a result of auto accidents in the state during the latest reporting year. Injuries from auto accidents ranged from minor to severe, and it is not uncommon for our San Antonio car accident attorneys to help clients suffering from the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
Each of these injuries can lead to major medical expenses. Victims of motor vehicle accidents often have to miss work while they recover, causing them to lose the income they need to support themselves or their families. Some will suffer long-term or permanent disabilities, along with lifelong medical costs. The total nationwide cost of lifetime medical expenses related to auto accident injuries averages $18 billion. Lifetime lost wages due to car accidents averages an estimated $33 billion.
How Can Serious Injuries Impact Your Life?
A serious or catastrophic injury can affect your life physically, emotionally and financially. Physically, a serious injury could leave you with lingering scars, disfigurements or disabilities. Emotionally, a serious injury could cause long-term distress and mental anguish. You may suffer post-traumatic stress disorder, lost quality of life, missed opportunities or diminished enjoyment of daily activities. Financially, a bad injury could put you thousands of dollars in debt, even if you have good health and auto insurance. It is extremely important to talk to an attorney after a major auto accident to find out if you are eligible for compensation for all your past and future damages.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Texas
Impaired driving continues to be a problem in San Antonio, Texas and the United States as a whole. During the latest reporting year, alcohol-impaired drivers were responsible for 26% of the overall traffic fatalities. Other common causes of injury-crashes include:
- Traffic violations
- Distracted driving
- Vehicle failure
- Dangerous roads
Identifying what caused your auto accident is often the start of your civil claim. You may need to hire a lawyer to help you investigate your crash for signs of fault or causation.
Who Bears Responsibility for Car Accident Injuries?
Texas is in the majority in that it is a fault-based car accident state. In fault states, the party that caused the car accident will bear legal responsibility for damages. Only 12 states in the U.S. abide by no-fault laws. After a car accident in San Antonio, you or your lawyer must determine fault for the wreck. Determining fault often takes an investigation of the accident and analysis of available evidence to identify the correct defendant.
- The other driver. The other driver involved in your crash may bear responsibility if he or she was negligent or engaged in reckless driving that caused the collision. If the other driver was drunk, tired, distracted, negligent or speeding, for example, he or she may owe you money for your damages.
- The auto manufacturer. Automakers can be legally responsible for auto accident injuries if their defective vehicles or auto parts contributed. If a defective airbag failed to deploy when it should have, for instance, and this exacerbated your injuries, the manufacturer of the airbag could be partially liable for your damages.
- The roadway maintenance supervisor. If a road defect such as a dangerous construction zone, uneven shoulder, debris, loose gravel or pothole caused your car accident, the person or entity in charge of road maintenance could bear responsibility. This may be the City of San Antonio or a private party.
Once your lawyer identifies the at-fault party, he or she can file a claim with that entity’s insurance provider. The at-fault responsible party’s auto insurance policy will cover your damages up to its maximum limits. If you have any leftover expenses, your auto insurance should cover them. If multiple defendants shared fault for your car accident or injuries, they could each owe you partial compensation for their percentages of fault. Speak to an attorney for assistance identifying defendants and bringing your claim after an auto accident.
What Is the Statute of Limitations to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Another benefit of hiring a lawyer is the ability to meet important deadlines, such as your statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is Texas’ absolute deadline to file a personal injury claim with the civil courts. This deadline applies to bringing a civil lawsuit, not filing a car insurance claim. If you wish to bring a lawsuit for greater compensation for your serious injury, you must do so within two years of the date of the auto accident, according to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code section 16.003. This law gives a two-year limitations period for anyone bringing a lawsuit for personal injuries or property damages.
The most common exception to this rule is during a wrongful death claim. If a loved one died in a San Antonio auto accident, you will have two years from the date of death to bring the claim rather than the date of the accident. If your loved one did not pass away from his or her critical injuries until a week later, for example, the two-year clock will not start ticking until the date of death. Other exceptions may exist for victims under the age of 18 and car accident cases involving criminals. Speak to a lawyer from the Law Offices of Pat Maloney to discuss your specific time limit.
What Kind of Damages Can Be Recovered After a Car Accident?
If you or a loved one have suffered car accident injuries that were caused by another driver’s negligence in San Antonio, please seek legal assistance immediately from a law firm with experience in auto accidents. At the Law Offices of Pat Maloney, our experienced legal team will help you through this. Our law firm will investigate what happened and work with the appropriate insurance carriers to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Coverage of your medical bills (past, current, and future) related to the crash
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the negligent driver
If you need an experienced San Antonio Texas car accident attorney, you can contact our legal professionals for a free initial consultation , or by calling our San Antonio personal injury lawyers at (210) 592-4613.