San Antonio Broadside Accidents Lawyer
Relentless representation for Texas victims of side-impact and T-bone crashes
Broadside accidents, also called T-bone or side-impact accidents, occur when the front of one car strikes the side of another car – either on the driver’s side of the car or the passenger side of the car. These accidents are often deadly. Survivors often live with permanent or chronic injuries. In addition to the initial impact, both cars are likely to strike other vehicles as they spin around or move when the broadside crash occurs.
In many broadside accidents, the driver whose front strikes the side of the other car is at fault. At the Law Offices of Pat Maloney, our San Antonio broadside accident lawyer has been fighting for car accident victims for 40 years. Attorney Maloney is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is a member of local, state, and federal bar associations and trial lawyers associations. He is respected by former clients, insurance companies, and defense lawyers for his impressive record of results including 40 results of $1 million or more.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do broadside accidents happen?
- Who is liable for a side-impact accident?
- Why are broadside accidents in San Antonio so serious?
- What kinds of injuries can a San Antonio T-bone accident cause??
- What is the value of my San Antonio broadside accident claim?
- Do you have a broadside accident lawyer near me?
Why do broadside accidents happen?
Common reasons why a driver might negligently strike the side of another car include:
- Failing to yield the right of way at an intersection
- Entering an intersection before the light turns green or after it turns yellow
- Entering a roadway from a side street or a parking lot
- Driving while distracted due to texting, talking on a cellphone, looking at a GPS, or for other reasons
- Driving while intoxicated or impaired by drugs
- Driving while fatigued
- Failing to look for blind spots
- Failing to slow down or use caution when the roads are wet or visibility is poor
- Speeding and other traffic violations
Who is liable for a side-impact accident?
Most side-impact accidents are due to the negligence of the driver whose front strikes the side of another car. In these cases, that negligent driver will likely be the liable party. Other possible defendants may include:
- Another driver who contributed to the accident
- An employer of the driver, such as a trucking company or a delivery service
- The owner of the vehicle, if the owner gave the driver permission to use the vehicle – especially if the owner knew the driver was not in a condition to operate the vehicle
- The Texas Department of Transportation or other state entities or entities, if the road was improperly designed or was not properly maintained causing the responsible driver to be in the incorrect location
- A manufacturer of a defective car part, such as defective brakes, steering columns, or turn signals
- A seller or provider of alcohol who sold the liquor to someone who was visibly intoxicated or was under 18 and then caused the accident due to the intoxication
At the Law Offices of Pat Maloney, we work with investigators, the police, reconstruction experts (if necessary), and witnesses to help show how your broadside accident happened and who is responsible. We also conduct extensive discovery (oral and written questions) of everyone who has information about the accident.
Why are broadside accidents in San Antonio so serious?
Broadside accidents are among the most severe types of accidents. The victims in both vehicles are likely to suffer serious injuries or die due to the force of the impact and the directness of the impact. Usually, one or both drivers are traveling at a high rate of speed. The driver and passengers in the car that is struck on the side often suffer the bulk of the force because the side of a car is only protected by the door while the front of the car that caused the accident is protected by the hood of that car.
Broadside accidents often occur at intersections. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHA), in 2019, there were nearly 39,000 traffic fatalities, and 10,626 of these accidents occurred at intersections.
What kinds of injuries can a San Antonio T-bone accident cause?
Many broadside injuries are catastrophic and life-changing. Many victims live with chronic pain. Some victims may require assistive devices and technology to help them cope, and many may also require psychological counseling.
The most serious injuries caused by T-bone accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
- Spinal cord damage
- Broken bones/fractures
- Traumatic amputations/limb loss
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
- Nerve, muscle, ligament, and tissue damage
- Neck, back, and shoulder pain
- Burn injuries
At the Law Offices of Pat Maloney, we work with orthopedists, neurosurgeons, pain management doctors, physical therapists, vocational therapists, burn injury centers, and many other healthcare providers to verify your injuries and fully understand what treatments you will need and how your life will be dramatically more difficult due to your injuries.
What is the value of my San Antonio broadside accident claim?
Our San Antonio personal injury lawyer understands how every phase of your life is different after a broadside accident happens. We are skilled at showing and documenting how every day of your life will change. We work with your employers to verify your income losses. The doctors we work with are skilled at preparing medical reports and ready to testify in court if necessary.
We prepare a demand letter when your injuries stabilize. Many times, we do settle your claim with the insurance carriers, often for the insurance policy limits. When the insurance carrier’s offer is not acceptable, we are always ready to try your personal injury case before a jury.
We demand compensation for all your damages including all your current and future:
- Medical bills including ER care, surgeries, hospitalizations, doctor visits, rehabilitative therapy, assistive devices, and medications
- Lost income, wages, and benefits
- Property damage
- Daily physical pain
- Daily emotional suffering
- Loss of function of any body part
- Loss of consortium (marital enjoyment)
- Loss of quality of life
In many T-bone accident cases in San Antonio, the driver’s conduct was more than negligent – it was reckless. In these cases, such as when a driver was intoxicated, we seek punitive damages.
We file wrongful death claims if your loved one was killed in a broadside action.
Do you have a broadside accident lawyer near me?
The Law Offices of Pat Maloney is located at 239 E Commerce St. We’re in the center of San Antonio. It’s easy to park near our building, which we take pride in noting is beautiful and historic. If you cannot meet us at our office, we do conduct conversations by phone, by video, and at hospitals.
We’ll answer all your questions and fight for all the compensation you deserve.
Speak with an experienced San Antonio T-bone / broadside accident lawyer now
Don’t delay. If you or a loved one was involved in a broadside collision, we need to investigate the scene of the accident, speak to witnesses while their memories are fresh, work with your doctors to help ensure you’re getting the medical care you need, and fight to restore your life or compensate families for the death of a loved one.
The Law Offices of Pat Maloney has served the people of San Antonio for more than 70 years. We have an impressive record of settlements and verdicts. We’re ready to help you now. Please call or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation today.
Related on t-bone accidents in San Antonio: