San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer
Aggressive, experienced, and dedicated advocacy on behalf of the injured and their families in South Texas
When someone is injured due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, they often incur major medical bills and have long-lasting physical and emotional pain. If a victim cannot work while they recover, they will lose the income they need to support themselves and their family. Personal injury lawsuits are a way for the injured person to gain compensation from the person who caused them harm (or that person’s insurance carrier).
When your injuries are the result of the negligence of another person, it is important to meet with a lawyer who specializes in personal injury litigation as soon as possible. As the longest serving plaintiffs’ injury firm in San Antonio, the Law Offices of Pat Maloney knows what it takes to build a successful case. Over the past 70 years, we have secured millions of dollars on behalf of the injured in San Antonio and throughout South Texas. Give us a call to find out if we can help.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I hire your San Antonio personal injury lawyer?
- What kind of personal injury cases do you handle?
- What is a catastrophic injury?
- How do you prove a personal injury case?
- What damages can I seek in a San Antonio personal injury case?
- Do I really need a San Antonio personal injury attorney?
- Can I afford a San Antonio personal injury lawyer?
- Do you have a personal injury attorney near me?
Why should I hire your San Antonio personal injury lawyer?
Whether your injury is caused by a negligent person, a defective product, an unsafe work site, or a medical error, you should know that the person or group who caused you harm will have lawyers of their own. You don’t want to face a national insurance company of a multi-million dollar organization without experienced, aggressive counsel on your side.
The Law Offices of Pat Maloney is the longest serving plaintiff’s injury law firm in San Antonio. Attorney Pat Maloney, Jr. is board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – a specialization held by fewer than 1% of all attorneys in Texas. Folks have trusted us for more than 70 years because they know we care about them, about their families, and about their future. When you work with our San Antonio personal injury lawyer, you get peace of mind. Here’s what our clients have to say:
- I needed somebody who knew what they were doing. But when Pat Maloney came to visit me, I knew. Knowing his reputation and what he stands for, I was very secure. In my case they knew exactly what to do. He made all the difference. – Larry Q.
- When I asked around for the best attorney to represent me, one name kept coming up: Pat Maloney. Pat surrounded me with a team of quality people. From that moment on, things changed. I once asked him, “How do we prove something like this?” He said, “The truth is the truth, and that will be enough.” – Dave C.
- Our family’s security was in jeopardy. It was obvious that I had to get a lawyer. We were running out of hope. From the moment Pat Maloney joined us, everything changed. Pat stepped in and he fought for us. Pat Maloney never gave in. – Jutta H.
- The aftermath of a serious injury is always difficult and stressful to deal with, but having Mr. Maloney and his knowledgeable staff working on my behalf helped reduce the stress. Mr. Maloney kept in regular contact with me as the case progressed, and his staff was always available and responsive when I had questions. – Mary T.
- I’d always thought that lawyer was a dirty word until I met with Pat Maloney. I’ve seen what he has done for people and I feel he is one of the only honest lawyers in San Antonio, or maybe even the country. He says that the truth will take care of itself, and he was right. Thank you, Pat! – Matthew E.
What kind of personal injury cases do you handle?
There are many ways in which personal injury cases arise, but it is almost always a result of negligence: “a failure to behave with the level of care that someone of ordinary prudence would have exercised under the same circumstances.” Some of the more common cases we handle arise from:
What is a catastrophic injury?
Many injuries – even serious ones – will heal over time, provided you get the right medical treatments as quickly as possible. Some injuries may take longer to heal, but you’ll eventually get back to your normal, daily routine (perhaps with a few small changes). But a catastrophic injury is a different story. These not only require immediate medical care, but there’s a significant chance that a victim never truly recovers, and may require some kind of assistance for the rest of his or her life. Some of the most severe injury claims we handle include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spine and spinal cord injuries
- Limb loss/amputation injuries
- Burn injuries
- Multiple complex, compound fractures
- Fatal injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Childhood injuries
- Permanent vision or hearing loss
These types of cases usually result in substantial medical bills, and leave people unable to care for themselves, let alone able to work and support a family. Many folks live in chronic and/or debilitating pain, and may require lifelong medical care and rehabilitation, adaptive devices and technologies, and even home renovations. The Law Offices of Pat Maloney in San Antonio specializes in these types of injuries: the ones that affect not just victims, but their entire families.
How do you prove a personal injury case?
For a personal injury claim to be successful, the injured person (the plaintiff) needs to show that the other party (the defendant) was negligent.
There are four basic elements to proving negligence:
- The defendant owed a duty to the plaintiff;
- The defendant’s actions breached that duty;
- The plaintiff was injured; and,
- The defendant’s breach of duty caused the injury.
These cases are not always straightforward, and they often involve extensive investigation on the part of the plaintiff’s personal injury attorney.
What damages can I seek in a San Antonio personal injury case?
Every personal injury case is different, and how much you are entitled to will depend on the extent of your injuries and the facts of your particular case. You could be entitled to various types of compensation, including:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- The cost of future medical care
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Mental anguish, past and future
- Possible punitive damages against the at-fault party
Your attorney will work to properly calculate how much compensation you are owed and negotiate with the at-fault parties for a settlement. If the defendant refuses to offer a fair settlement, your attorney will be prepared to take the case to trial.
Hiring a personal injury attorney will almost always increase the overall value of your case. By showing insurance companies that you are serious about getting justice for your injury, they will give you a more accurate compensation amount. Our track record of jury verdicts and settlements speaks for itself.
Do I really need a San Antonio personal injury attorney?
If you have been injured due to another person’s negligence, you will likely be facing major medical bills and the possibility of losing income. You need a San Antonio injury attorney by your side to help you through what is often a complicated process of recovering compensation. We will be your advocate, working to equalize the playing field.
- Gather all of the evidence necessary to prove the defendant’s liability in your case, including photos and video surveillance in the case, accident and police reports, eyewitness statements, and more.
- Obtain your medical records and have them evaluated by a trusted healthcare professional who can assess the full extent of your injuries.
- Calculate your total economic losses as well as non-economic damages that have changed your life.
- Negotiate to obtain a settlement that will cover all of your injury-related expenses.
- Take your case to trial if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
It may seem obvious that a lawyer would go to court for you, but the reason this is so beneficial is that insurance adjusters will need to make a more realistic offer for compensation than if you were to represent yourself. We also know that sometimes, a jury trial is the only way to hold a negligent party truly accountable, and to ensure they will not repeat their dangerous behaviors in the future.
Can I afford a San Antonio personal injury lawyer?
One of the most important questions a personal injury victim asks is – how much will an attorney cost?
This is important because one of the main reasons a victim needs an attorney is to get help securing the compensation they are owed. Injury victims are often low on financial resources due to their injuries already.
The good news is that, at the Law Offices of Pat Maloney, we offer a free consultation of your case. When we decide to take a client’s case, we do so on a contingency fee basis. This means that the client pays no out-of-pocket costs and will not have to worry about any legal fees until we successfully win their case and secure the compensation they deserve. Typically, clients will pay an agreed-upon percentage of the damages awarded to their attorney at the conclusion of their case.
Do you have a personal injury attorney near me?
The Law Offices of Pat Maloney is located at 239 E Commerce St. in the center of Downtown San Antonio, TX. We are the owner of one of the most beautiful and historic buildings in San Antonio. There’s plenty of parking nearby. If you cannot travel, we can arrange a phone or video conference, or an in-hospital visit.
Contact the longest serving plaintiffs’ personal injury law firm in San Antonio today
Hiring a lawyer can help ease the confusion and burden during this difficult time. The Law Offices of Pat Maloney wants to help. We can schedule a free consultation with a San Antonio personal injury lawyer to discuss your case and go over all the questions that you may have. Please call or fill out our contact form to learn more.
- 4 Signs It’s Time to Hire a Serious Personal Injury Lawyer
- 5 Qualifications of an Injury Lawyer
- 5 Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Choosing a Serious Personal Injury Lawyer: 5 Things to Look for
- How to Choose an Attorney – Personal Injury
- 3 Signs You Might Be Eligible for Personal Injury Compensation